14 Marion musicians earn ISSMA’s top award at state Solo & Ensemble
Marion Community Schools congratulates more than two dozen outstanding young musicians from Marion High School and McCulloch Junior High who competed recently at ISSMA’s annual state Solo & Ensemble competition! We are proud of these artists, who all took on a high degree of difficulty to reach the state level. Fourteen of them earned the top adjudication award, gold with distinction, which recognizes a high degree of excellence. Especially impressive, four of those 14 are in eighth grade!
Each year, the Indiana State School Music Association puts on regional and state level Solo & Ensemble competitions for instrumentalists and for vocalists and pianists. Musicians who earn a gold rating at regional on a Division 1 entry (the toughest division) advance to the state level. This year, vocal/piano state competition was on Feb. 18, and the instrumental state competition was on Feb. 25.
Marion Community Schools applauds these students on their great accomplishments, and expresses gratitude to the teachers who work every day to help these students develop their talent and skills.
Here’s a look at the full list of Marion musicians who competed at state Solo & Ensemble, and their awards:
Gold with Distinction
- Percussion ensemble: Leah Hendey, MHS senior; Daniel Terhune and John Wells, both MHS juniors; Noah Gilreath, Caleb Huff, Ethan Boogar, Jacob Wood, and Kyliegh Yeakle, all MHS sophomores; Chayim Hofmann, MHS freshman; and Madelyn Boogar, MJH eighth grade
- Noah Gilreath, MHS sophomore, marimba solo
- Caleb Huff, MHS sophomore, timpani solo and marimba solo
- Axel Ortiz Juarez, MJH eighth grade, alto saxophone solo
- Colin Royse, MJH eighth grade, vocal solo
- Caroline Russell, MHS junior / CSA Arts Academy, vocal solo
- Rai Teegarden-Stanley, MHS senior, vocal solo
- Daniel Terhune, MHS junior, tuba solo
- Brass quintet: Adolfo Marin, MHS senior, trumpet; Kaydence Chambers, trombone, and Daniel Terhune, tuba, both MHS juniors; Sarah Terhune, MHS sophomore, French horn; and Manuel Trejo, MHS freshman, trumpet
- Andrew Hancock, MHS sophomore, alto saxophone solo
- Caleb Hawkins, MHS sophomore, alto saxophone solo
- Gavin Johnson, MJH eighth grade, alto saxophone solo
- Meredith Santee, MHS sophomore, vocal solo
- Sabrina Thomas, MHS junior, clarinet solo
- Clarinet quartet: Sabrina Thomas, MHS junior, Layla Bohde, MHS sophomore, and Dakhota Daley and Evelyn Lopez-Gomez, both MHS freshmen
- Easton Emery, MHS sophomore, tenor saxophone solo
- Myelei Whitaker, MHS junior, flute solo